6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate, Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit builds on ADA1111 or ADA3111 for students in undergraduate courses, and on ADA4500 for coursework Masters' students. The unit will extend students' individual understanding of Design Thinking approaches, supporting the development of valuable personal practices to inform new proposals relevant to students' interests and disciplines. Students will explore skills that support design insight and innovation and will refine bespoke approaches to the resolution of project-based problems and explorations. Students will develop their ability to investigate context and to identify actionable opportunities, applying and refining Design Thinking principles to connect project potential to real-world opportunities.
The unit highlights the 'opportunities of wickedness' in ill-defined design problems, and will focus on student development and application of communication tools that support the fruitful exploration of personal perspective. Reflective practices focussing on the experience, engendering and application of conceptual momentum will be a key element of the unit.
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- demonstrate understanding of the concepts of Design Thinking and identification of actionable opportunities in developing projects;
- understand and actively engage personal perspectives in a design development process;
- identify, capitalise on and maximise the 'opportunities of wickedness' in project design;
- apply project communication techniques using a range of tools to articulate and critique the evolution of design solutions;
- effectively employ reflective practices as part of the development of design solutions.
Problem (re)framing (20%)
Constructing Perspective (30%)
Review, Refinement and Reflection (50%)
12 hours per week, including an average of 3 contact hours (in person or online) and 9 hours of independent study or equivalent
See also Unit timetable information