12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Dr Shani Tobias (Clayton)
Dr Thomas Chase (SEU)
This subject addresses specific translation issues in various professional and social settings which will be approached firstly, through theoretical discussion in relation to context and cognitive environment, followed by the practical translation of authentic texts, which illustrate the issues involved.
- translate a variety of linguistic registers, informed by theoretical insight
- develop specialized competence in one or more areas of professional discourse
- develop a glossary by which they can expand and store their knowledge of specialised terms and how they might be used
- identify and discuss theoretical and methodological issues related to the translation of different professional discourses
- utilise problem-solving strategies for specialist discourses
- use a variety of specialised dictionaries, glossaries, and web-based translation aids.
Within semester assessment: 70% + Exam: 30%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
APG5875 or APG4813