12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
The unit is only available online with permission of the program director.
The unit is undertaken in the final semester of the Master of Communications and Media Studies and allows students to develop an extended independent research project. The topic is chosen by the student and developed with the advice and support of a supervisor. The project is written up in a minor dissertation, allowing the student to demonstrate advanced skills in research, writing and project management. Students are encouraged to consider the project not only as a formal requirement for the degree, but also as contributing to a portfolio of professional development.
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to demonstrate:
- Increased knowledge, skills, and attributes necessary for independent research;
- An enhanced capacity to formulate and research communication issues;
- An enhanced capacity to analyse and evaluate arguments, and to understand critical approaches to the planning, writing and editing of a research topic;
- A capacity to design, manage, and carry out a research project.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload equals 288 hours per semester
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study