6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
- The unit has a compulsory ensemble componentensemble component (http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/music/category/performance-studies/student-ensembles/). Some ensembles are subject to audition. Normally, auditions take place in Week 1 of the semester. Please see the unit guide for further information.
- Students who fail this unit will need permission from the unit coordinator in order to repeat the unit.
The unit consolidates and extends advanced skills in composition developed in ATS3140 Composition 5. Students further develop technical skills by refining a personal compositional methodology influenced by various techniques and approaches. Students then apply this compositional methodology to develop well-articulated concepts for substantial works that integrate several distinct layers of material.
Upon completion of the unit, students are able to:
- Develop a compositional methodology from a range of acquired techniques and approaches;
- Apply such a methodology to substantial musical works that integrate several distinct layers of material.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
ATS3140 or ATS3830
This unit is only available to students enrolled in a Bachelor of Music single or double degree - Music composition specialisation.