12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Students will undertake a guided advanced studies program on the development of research in CBEH and in an aspect of CBEH of interest to the student. The unit aims to develop analytical abilities, communication skills, and advanced knowledge in a specific area of CBEH. Students will undertake a self-assessment to identify a topic of interest in CBEH that they will study at an advanced level. A negotiated learning contact will describe the advanced study which may include attendance at lectures, tutorials or courses in areas relevant to the discipline; preparation of an essay; critical evaluation of a published paper, case study or research data.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Identify areas of knowledge deficit in community-based emergency health practice and research and plan a study approach to address their learning needs;
- Demonstrate a commitment to learning by identifying resources within the university and community-based emergency health services that can be accessed to address their learning needs;
- Accurately locate and critically assess research literature, with an emphasis on community-based emergency health;
- Demonstrate suitable oral presentation skills to an audience of peers, superiors and academic staff;
- Demonstrate an advanced knowledge of an aspect of community-based emergency health.
- Negotiated skills development (10%)
- Literature review (3,500 words) (70%) (Hurdle)
- Seminar presentation (20%)