6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
Topics covered include superannuation economics and demographics, industry structure and regulation, products available from fund managers, life offices and superannuation trusts, actuarial mathematics, the mortality table, factors affecting selection, endowments, assurances, single, joint and longest life annuities, application to comparative evaluation of commercial retirement products, financial planners and the financial planning function, accreditation, responsibilities and duties, determination of client objectives and risk profiles, and strategies for superannuation and social security.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- describe financial planning activities, and legal compliance requirements for financial planners
- demonstrate specialist skills required for interaction with financial planning clients
- demonstrate generic knowledge of the Australian and global investment environments, together with specialist knowledge in the areas of superannuation, financial planning, securities and managed investments
- prepare financial plans for clients with different financial objectives
- apply critical thinking, problem solving and presentation skills to individual and/or group activities dealing with pension and financial planning and demonstrate in an individual summative assessment task the acquisition of a comprehensive understanding of the topics covered by BFC3440.
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
AFC2240 or BFC2240
AFF3111, BFF3111, AFC3440, BFG3210