6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
As a foundation, this unit introduces students to the concepts of finance, financial mathematics, investment analysis, the financial system, risk management and the relationship of finances to other commercial disciplines.
At the end of this unit students will be able to:
- demonstrate an introductory understanding to the concepts of finance in preparation for additional study in the discipline
- describe the foundation concepts of finance
- relate the concepts of finance to other commercial disciplines.
Within semester assessment: 50% + Examination: 50%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information