12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Full year 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 to First semester 2018 (Day)
The unit aims to develop students graduate attributes relevant to a post-graduation career in biotechnology and associated areas. These will be learned in an interdisciplinary biotechnology context of the development of scientific knowledge and its commercialisation. From their previous studies, students will have knowledge of scientific invention and technological innovation. The unit will allow them deeper exploration of an aspect or aspects of this process. Students will also consider what scientific knowledge is and how it is challenged. The unit will require both team and individual work.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Critically review scientific literature in an applied area of biotechnology;
- Research, analyse and report on the translation of basic research towards a commercial product;
- Recognise the breadth of analytical and data analysis techniques and their applicability to biotechnology research;
- Apply analytical and data analysis techniques relevant to the biotechnology industry;
- Effectively communicate concepts in biotechnology both in writing and orally.
Written report (6000 words): 30%
Written report (2000 words): 10%
Essay (4000 words): 20%
Two oral presentations: 20%
Continuous assessment of group work (supervisor, peer and self-assessed): 20%
Workshops, seminars and individual or small group meetings with supervisors and mentors.
See also Unit timetable information
Completion of the requirements for levels one to three of the Bachelor of Biotechnology