6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
- October intake 2017 (Day)
This unit introduces the student to the salient features of the Malaysian legal system, the various dispute resolution techniques and examines the main areas of law that regulate the business environment in Malaysia. The focus of learning is on the law of contract, the law of misrepresentation, agency law, partnership law and aspects of company law. Comparative aspects of Australian laws will be highlighted where relevant.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- deliberate the salient features of the Malaysian legal system, with a focus on its law making institutions, the interpretation of statutes and the various dispute resolution techniques
- examine and apply the principles of contract law, misrepresentation and agency law to hypothetical legal problems
- examine the legal differences between partnerships and corporations
- conduct basic legal research using primary and secondary sources
- deliberate Common Law comparative aspects of the above topics.
Within semester assessment: 40% + examination 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information