6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
Introduction to the nature of civil engineering construction projects. Construction technology including equipment performance, construction techniques, prefabrication, concrete, steel, timber, foundations, buildings, roads, formwork etc. Relevant OHS and site environmental management issues and requirements. Industry experience gained by working with a construction company.
Students require at least 4 days on-site construction experience to be eligible to enrol in this unit.
On successful completion of the unit, students should be able to:
- Evaluate OHS risks and apply relevant controls to particular project examples
- Acquire knowledge of Quality Assurance and Systems and Prepare inspection and test plans
- Evaluate environmental risks and apply relevant controls to a particular construction project
- Breakdown the tasks involved with a construction project and prepare a schedule using MS Project
- Acquire knowledge of construction relationships, procurement types
Two projects: 65%
Industry experience report: 35%
2 hours lecture, 2 hours practicals, 8 hours private study per week.
- site visit and 27 hours industry placement)
See also Unit timetable information