12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Term 3 2017 (Day)
This unit is only available to students enrolled in the double award Master International/Master of Transportation Systems with South East University, China.
This unit develops students' understanding of the use of computer models in transportation systems analysis. The unit considers the role of commercial transportation systems analysis packages to address real life application problems in transport planning and operations management. Students will become familiar with modelling packages used for strategic modelling of transportation networks and mesoscopic or microscopic simulation packages which can address operational issues.
After completing this unit students will be able to:
- formulate, calibrate, apply and interpret a range of strategic and operations focused transportation models
- appraise various transport models to assess their strengths, weaknesses and suitability for particular modelling tasks
- justify the role of analytical modelling in transportation planning and operations management
- synthesise insight from the literature, model outputs and/or data collected as part of a study to frame appropriate recommendations which address the aims or objectives of the study
- demonstrate effective written and oral communication skills
Written reports and oral presentation: 100%
See also Unit timetable information