6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Dr Nish Belford (Clayton)
Dr Helen Grimmett (Peninsula)
This unit introduces students to pedagogical and curriculum-related issues in arts education, from Foundation to Year 8, but with particular focus on teaching in, about and through the arts in primary schools. It provides students with an overview of different approaches to theories and practices of arts education. It prepares students for the tasks of selecting content and designing units of work in the arts. Students explore discipline-based arts (music, dance, drama, visual arts and media arts), as well as cross-curricula and integrative approaches to the arts.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- develop a critical understanding of issues in arts education
- understand, implement and reflect on current research-based arts education pedagogies
- develop an awareness of disciplinary skills and concepts in the arts
- develop skills in content selection and curriculum design in the arts
- engage with arts practices and experiences.
Arts project (2000 words equivalent, 50%)
Peer teaching and reflection task (2000 words equivalent, 50%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 2 contact hours per week
- Additional requirements:
- independent study to make up the minimum required hours per week
See also Unit timetable information