6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
In this unit students gain confidence to enter the teaching profession. The unit provides students with opportunities to engage with every facet of the culture and professional life of teaching. Students engage in reflective conversations with their peers and identify their strengths and what they contribute to the educational community, as well as engage in professional learning. They research and refine an aspect of their professional practice, continue to document their professional experiences and learning through their professional portfolio and recognise the significance of information and communication technologies (ICT) for teaching and learning in the twenty-first century.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- plan, implement and evaluate learning programs
- design and manage learning environments
- develop professional relationships with students, colleagues, parents and community bodies
- document their professional learning and experience in their professional portfolio
- research, refine and document an aspect of their professional learning and experience.
20 days' placement; Middle school option: 5 days' placement (plus 15 days' placement to be completed in a secondary setting)
This unit is graded pass grade only (PGO).
Successful completion of placement and allied tasks (2000 words or equivalent, 50%)
A portfolio (2000 words or equivalent, 50%)
Minimum total expected workload comprises:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 20 days per semester of professional placement
- Additional requirements
- limited number of seminar days and in-school tutorials
See also Unit timetable information