6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
This unit will introduce advanced concepts in the areas of database design, SQL, query optimisation and the handling of unstructured data (XML) both externally and within a database. The issue of "Big Data" and the role played by BI technologies and data warehouses will be explored.
At the completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- design a database model from a given scenario, using the Extended Entity Relationship model;
- demonstrate a fluency with relational algebra commands;
- create triggers, procedures and functions to enhance the logic stored in a database;
- analyse SQL query operations to optimise their performance;
- create XML documents and schemas to represent a given scenario;
- implement, and manipulate, XML structure in a database;
- describe the role played by Data Warehouses and Business Intelligence (BI) with respect to "Big Data".
Examination (3 hours): 60%; In-semester assessment: 40%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hours lectures
- Two hours laboratories
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 2-3 hours of personal study per one hour of lecture time in order to satisfy the reading, tute, prac and assignment expectations.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
FIT2077, FIT3118, FIT4038