6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Online)
This unit provides students with an understanding of the design and development of systems that support the large enterprise in a web-based environment. Students will learn of the theoretical issues that need to be considered by the enterprise and how they can affect the development of the enterprise application. A number of techniques will be introduced as the technological means to build such an application with specific emphasis on the Java EE technology.
At the completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- analyse and critique enterprise software architecture on the web;
- design, construct and publish enterprise applications using the Java programming language;
- assess various advanced Java technologies used to build web applications for the enterprise and construct enterprise applications using advanced Java technologies;
- apply, analyse and critique the use of advanced Java libraries and frameworks in building a medium-size web application for the enterprise.
Examination (2 hours): 50%, In-semester assessment: 50%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hours of lectures
- One 2-hour laboratory
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours independent study per week for completing lab and project work, private study and revision.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Recommended knowledge: Students undertaking this subject are expected to have a sound understanding of the concepts of the object oriented programming language, Java.