6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Monash Online offerings are only available to students enrolled in the Graduate Diploma in Data ScienceGraduate Diploma in Data Science (http://online.monash.edu/course/graduate-diploma-data-science/?Access_Code=MON-GDDS-SEO2&utm_source=seo2&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=MON-GDDS-SEO2) via Monash Online.
This unit looks at processes, case studies and simple tools to understand the many facets of working with data, and the significant effort in Data Science over and above the core task of Data Analysis. Working with data as part of a business model and the lifecycle in an organisation is considered, as well as business processes and case studies. Data and its handling is also introduced: characteristic kinds of data and its collection, data storage and basic kinds of data preparation, data cleaning and data stream processing. Styles of data analysis and outcomes of successful data exploration and analysis are reviewed. Standards, tools and resources are also reviewed. Basic curation and management are reviewed: archival and architectural practice, policy, legal and ethical issues.
On successful completion of this unit a student should be able to:
- analyse the role of data in organisations, including curation and management issues;
- apply basic tools for performing exploratory data analysis and visualisation;
- apply basic tools for managing and processing big data;
- apply basic predictive modeling and data analysis methods;
- determine data storage and processing requirements for a data science project;
- identify data resources and standards.
For Monash Online: In-semester assessment: 100%
Semester 1 On-campus: Examination (3 hours): 50%; In-semester assessment: 50%
Semester 2 On-campus: Examination (2 hours plus 30 minutes reading and noting time): 50%; In-semester assessment: 50%
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hours/week lectures
- Two hours/week laboratories
- Contact hours for Monash Online students:
- Two hours/week online group sessions
Online students generally do not attend lecture, tutorial and laboratory sessions, however should plan to spend equivalent time working through resources and participating in discussions.
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours per week of personal study (22 hours per week for Monash online students) for completing lab/tutorial activities, assignments, private study and revision, and for online students, participating in discussions.
See also Unit timetable information