6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
This unit provides students with an understanding of the development and use of IT tools and techniques for modelling and decision support in the field of finance. The unit is designed to give students a broad understanding of the financial subsystems confronting business enterprises. The main focus, besides the traditional modelling of finance decision making process using spreadsheet tools, will be IT tools and related techniques that can aid in the analysis and interpretation of real financial problems confronting an enterprise. This unit will look at business related financial issues in the context of specific case studies.
On the completion of this unit, students should be to:
- explain the core foundations of finance, as appropriate to key financial analysis and decision making;
- analyse the core technologies that support financial analysis and decision making;
- implement quantitative techniques supporting financial analysis and decision making;
- apply the technologies and techniques studied to solving financial issues;
- analyse financial solution requirements and select appropriate technical and quantitative decision aids;
- interpret outputs from quantitative and technology based finance tools to aid in decision making.
Examination (2 hours plus 30 minutes reading and noting time): 60%; In-semester assessment: 40%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hours of lectures
- One 2-hour laboratory
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 8 hours independent study per week for completing lab and project work, private study and revision.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
FIT9131 or FIT5131 or FIT9004 or FIT9017 or equivalent
Basic descriptive and inferential statistics, some financial accounting and basic business finance knowledge.