6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester (extended) 2017 (Flexible)
The aim of this unit is to bring about an increased awareness into research-led teaching, professional research skills, and research writing skills. In this unit, candidates implement and systematically study the project designed in HED5031 (Higher education project: Design and literature review). This will enable them to investigate and improve their own teaching practice. Candidates shall discuss the principles of research-led teaching and its implementation in the respective discipline. This unit is offered through independent study.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- apply their knowledge and skills to experience research as a key area of academic work.
- demonstrate the skills associated with planning and implementing academic research of various types
- connect the principles and practices of research-led teaching and learning to their own discipline
- develop the ability to edit and write research reports and/or publications
- communicate research findings at an advanced level
Research report (3000 words, 70%)
Personal reflection (500 words, 15%)
Online forum (500 words equivalent, 15%)
Minimum total expected workload comprises:
- Contact hours:
- 12 contact hours in workshops, each workshop may vary in length, but on average would be expected to be 3 to 4 hours (one half day each).
- Additional requirements:
- approximately 8 - 10 hours of independent study per week comprising literature and web searches, reading/reflection time, and completions of assessment activities.
See also Unit timetable information