6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester (extended) 2017 (On-campus block of classes)
- Second semester (extended) 2017 (Online)
This unit will introduce participants to the concepts, terminology and development processes of curriculum and course design. The unit will focus upon the basic principles of curriculum development applied to the varied organisational settings represented by the course participants. Participants will be introduced to change management processes and evaluation skills. The unit is designed to be practical in its focus and will build upon the perspectives introduced in HPE5001, HPE5002 and HPE5003.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Identify the educational theoretical perspectives relevant to their own teaching environment.
- Apply constructive alignment to curriculum design.
- Differentiate between various models of educational evaluation and justify evaluation choices.
- Plan evaluation tasks such as development/ adaptation of instruments and conducting of interviews.
- Outline effective educational change management processes including the drivers, barriers and catalysts to implementation.
- Design a change management plan to facilitate a change in educational practice that will address the perceived need.
- Curriculum development project (45%) (Hurdle)
- Evaluation and change management plan (45%) (Hurdle)
- Teaching portfolio (10%)
Off-campus students: 10 hours per week.
See also Unit timetable information
Off-campus attendance requirements
Online students: up to 10 hours per week.
Block-on students: Three days teacher directed learning (study days) and up to 10 hours/week self-directed learning.