12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester (extended) 2017 (On-campus block of classes)
The unit focuses on research in contemporary health professional education. It will provide participants with the opportunity to develop foundation research skills and knowledge tailored to their teaching environment and/or interests.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Outline the significance of educational research to the foundations and development of health professional education and practice;
- Demonstrate a sound knowledge-base related to the research process including the ability to critique education and practice;
- Critically examine and select methods for educational research in the health professions;
- Design appropriate qualitative and quantitative research methods to explore and evaluate education in the health professions at a novice researcher level;
- Articulate key theoretical issues relevant to research in health professional education;
- Describe key strategies to promote rigour in research in health professional education;
- Articulate key principles of ethical practice in health professional education research.
- Research plan (5,000 words) (45%) (Hurdle)
- Ethics assessment (2,500 words) (25%)
- Portfolio (4,000 words) (30%)
Five days teacher directed learning (study days) and up to 20 hours/week self-directed learning.
See also Unit timetable information
Off-campus attendance requirements
It is expected students attend the core study day block.