6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
This unit establishes the principles of formal engineering and geometrical drawing. Topics include equipment and materials, line types, drawing notional elements, projecting and sectioning, presentation principles and an introduction to dimensioning and tolerancing.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- appreciate product Engineering Drawing as communication system
- understand the importance of product Engineering Drawing as a significant component of the industrial design process
- be able to execute drawings of three dimensional objects through projections and sectional views that comply with accepted professional industry convention, in particular Australian Standards (AS1100) to a basic standard
- be able to apply the above principles when designing in any computer aided design program
- understand and be able to apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the unit of study.
Class exercises: 50%, final examination: 50%
12 hours per week, including one 1 hour lecture and 3 studio hours plus 8 independent hours
See also Unit timetable information