6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Postgraduate programs are based on a model of small group teaching and therefore class sizes need to be restricted.
- Trimester 1 2017 (Day)
- Trimester 2 2017 (Day)
- Trimester 3 2017 (Day)
For postgraduate Law discontinuation dates, please see http://www.monash.edu/law/current-students/postgraduate/pg-jd-discontinuation-dates
For postgraduate Law unit timetables, please see http://law.monash.edu.au/current-students/course-unit-information/timetables/postgraduate/index.html
Previously coded as LAW7271
The unit introduces students to the nature and function of trusts in the modern Australian legal system. Students learn how trusts are used and learn the rules governing their existence. In particular, the rules governing the creation and administration of trusts, and the rights and obligations of parties to trusts.
At the successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- critically evaluate the role and law of trusts in a broader commercial, social and regulatory context, including contemporary developments in the law and its practice;
- identify, research, synthesise and evaluate relevant legal, factual and policy issues in trusts law;
- demonstrate intellectual and practical skills to justify and interpret theoretical propositions, legal methods and conclusions;
- engage in critical analysis and make reasoned and appropriate choices among alternatives;
- select, analyse, interpret and apply principles of trusts law to generate appropriate responses to complex legal issues;
- exercise advanced and integrated professional judgment to evaluate jurisprudential and practical considerations; and
- communicate effectively and persuasively to specified audiences.
- Research assignment (3,000 words): 40%
- Examination (2 hours plus 30 minutes reading time): 60%
Students enrolled in this unit will be provided with 36 contact hours of seminars per semester whether intensive, semi-intensive, or semester-long offering. Students will be expected to do reading set for class, and to undertake additional research and reading applicable to a 6 credit point unit.
Dr Vicki Vann Personal ProfilePersonal Profile (http://www.monash.edu/law/current-students/resources/course-unit-information/postgraduate/sess-vvann) Trimester 1 & 3 TBA Trimester 2