6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Postgraduate programs are based on a model of small group teaching and therefore class sizes need to be restricted.
Not offered in 2017
For postgraduate Law discontinuation dates, please see http://www.monash.edu/law/current-students/postgraduate/pg-jd-discontinuation-dates
For postgraduate Law unit timetables, please see http://law.monash.edu.au/current-students/course-unit-information/timetables/postgraduate/index.html
Previously coded as LAW7045
This unit focuses on the law concerning takeovers. Topics covered will include:
- The desirability of takeovers and the need for regulation.
- The general scheme of regulation in Australia.
- The principal means of effecting takeovers.
- Defensive strategies and tactics.
- Compulsory acquisition.
- The regulatory structure, including the respective roles and powers of the Australian Securities and Investments Commission, the Takeovers Panel, and the Australian Securities Exchange.
- The means by which regulatory decisions may be challenged.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- apply knowledge and understanding of the structure of regulation of takeovers in Australia (including the respective roles and principal powers of the Australian Securities and Investments Commission, the Takeovers Panel and the Australian Securities Exchange and the extent to which the decisions of these bodies are subject to appeal or review) with creativity and initiative to new situations in professional practice;
- investigate, analyse and synthesise complex information, problems, concepts and theories in relation to the desirability and effects of takeovers and the regulation of takeovers;
- conduct research into the complex statutory scheme based on knowledge of appropriate research principles and methods; and
- use cognitive, technical and creative skills to generate and evaluate at an abstract level complex ideas and concepts relevant to the law concerning takeovers.
Research paper (3,750 words): 50%
Take home examination (3,750 words): 50%
24 contact hours per semester (either intensive, semi-intensive or semester long, depending on the Faculty resources, timetabling and requirements)
Mr Bruce Dyer Personal ProfilePersonal Profile (http://www.law.monash.edu.au/staff/postgraduate/sess-bdyer.html)