12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
This unit represents the second part of a three part design project and students are expected to continue with the research initiated in MDC4001. Conceptual designs are expected to be developed to a stage that allows relevant critical analysis. Regular group and individual critiques of the project will be undertaken as the project and the thinking underlying it develop. Both the intentions of students and the results of their work are debated in group discussions and critical sessions. Students will be expected to demonstrate a strong capability to resolve and defend relevant design issues.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- be able to develop and refine their design project
- be able to debate and/or defend their practice in an informed critical appraisal
- demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of their design discipline and its professional practices, with particular reference to the social, cultural and aesthetic aspects of their investigation
- have a high level of knowledge of the contemporary discourse a selected field of design and to be able to position their work relative to it
- cultivate high ambitions to perfect their practice of industrial design
Mid-semester portfolio: 20% Final portfolio: 80%
Students will be assigned a project supervisor and meet on a weekly basis. Group seminars will be arranged and occur at least 4 times throughout the semester. A nominal 24 hours per week of independent study time for library research, preparation for assigned projects and personal study is expected.
See also Unit timetable information