6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Dr Jing Fu (Clayton)
Dr Foo Ji Jinn (Malaysia)
Students undertake a self-guided learning task in the form of a project.
Projects may be a single semester or (in conjunction with MEC4402) a full year in length [Enrolment by Departmental approval only]. Projects will consist of either a design, theoretical, or experimental investigation. The project may be undertaken either within the Department or externally with a company or research organisation. In either case, an academic member of staff will act as the supervisor. While some projects may benefit from group based work it is expected that students will work individually on each project.
NB. Before work is started on the project a safety induction and risk assessment process will be completed.
At the successful completion of this unit you will be able to:
- Generate a research plan based on scientific methodologies and risk assessments.
- Manage a research project effectively within technical, budgetary, risk and time constraints.
- Research an extensive review of relevant scientific literature and critically analyse its relevance to the project work being proposed.
- Utilise data acquisition tools, data analysis and other technological tools effectively in design, research and experimental activities.
- Generate project findings via written reports and oral presentation to a range of audiences in a professional manner.
Continuous assessment: 100%
1 hour lecture and 11 hours of private sudy per week.
See also Unit timetable information
18 engineering credit points at level three