6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
Introduction to the field of human resource management for students without managerial or supervisory experience or work experience. Topics include the purpose of HRM and its contribution to meeting organisational and employee needs; the strategic role of human resource management and the contribution of HRM to competitive advantage; HRM challenges faced by organisations in a global and competitive environment including attracting and retaining skilled staff, issues relating to diverse workforces, safety and wellbeing, performance and reward management in developing employee capabilities.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- define HRM and understand the purpose and the range of activities associated with the area of Human Resource Management (HRM)
- understand and differentiate between basic models of HRM
- understand and analyse the strategic contribution of the HR function and HR managers
- understand the global context and its effects on HRM
- examine a range of HR challenges faced by organisations and explain how the activities normally associated with HRM can address such issues
- critically engage with and apply HRM theory and empirical research published in current academic literature individually and in groups.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
MGX9850, MGX5985, MGX9221, MGF5985