12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit is quota restricted. Selection is on a first-in, first enrolled basis.
Not offered in 2017
This unit introduces students to the foundational knowledge required by midwives to effectively care for women and their babies from preconception through to early parenting.
Students will explore the philosophical basis of contemporary midwifery practice.
Learning will also focus on the physiological and psychosocial adaptation of the healthy woman and child, and the application of this understanding, and the provision of woman centered midwifery care.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to;
- Explore the philosophical foundations underpinning the role of the midwife in contemporary maternity care;
- Explain the role of the midwife in assessment of fetal and maternal well-being during pregnancy, labour, birth and the puerperium;
- Explain the anatomy and physiology relevant to pregnancy, labour, birth and the puerperium;
- Apply a woman-centred approach of midwifery practice using theoretical knowledge of anatomy and physiology;
- Demonstrate developing skills in physical assessment and care of women and their babies across the childbearing continuum;
- Identify and interpret the routine screening and basic diagnostic tests in pregnancy, labour and birth assessment;
- Analyse critically, evaluate and transmit information and evidence to inform clinical practice ;
- Explain the need for reflective practice in the implementation of evidence informed care;
- Demonstrate developing autonomy and judgement of midwifery practice in accordance with ANMC National Competency Standards for the Midwife.
80 hours clinical placement in a maternity unit.Students are required to participate in a two week clinical placement. In line with ANMAC requirements they are also required to undertake Continuity of Care relationships with women x 2.
- Written assignment (2,000 -2,500 words) (30%)
- 2 x in-semester tests (MCQ) (20 min) (10% each)
- Exam (3 hours) (MCQ/ SAQ/case studies) (50%) (Hurdle)
- 80 hrs clinical placement & skills assessment
- Reflective pieces in Mid Clinical Portfolio (500 words)
Hurdles: Exam, Satisfactory Clinical Report and reflective piece
Lectures - 2 hours per week (24 hours)
Tutorials/Clinical Laboratories - 2 hours per week (24 hours)
Online Guided Learning Activities - 2 hours per week (24hours)
Student directed study - (120 hours)
Clinical placement - (80 hours)
Continuity of care women (X 2) ~20 hours
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Must be enrolled in course M3007 or 4514