6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
This practice unit provides students with a comprehensive and clinically meaningful final preparation for transition to practice as a competent first level registered midwife, in an area of their choosing. The unit utilises principles of adult learning to enable students to explore an area of special interest such as midwifery practice in rural and remote locations, neonatal intensive care nursery and care of childbearing women at risk.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Be able to apply principles of adult learning to address an identified learning need;
- Explain factors affecting communication and negotiation in the midwifery context;
- Synthesise a broad range of knowledge from previous subjects to demonstrate an integrated bio-psychosocial insight into a selected area of midwifery practice; and
- Selectively apply current research findings relevant to the nominated field of study.
- Demonstrate safe midwifery practice based on sound theoretical knowledge and reasoning;
- Perform detailed physical health assessment of childbearing women and newborns;
- Resolve midwifery practice problems appropriately;
- Proficiently implement midwifery care as planned;
- Demonstrate sensitivity to the cultural dimensions of care;
- Practice with increasing independence and incorporate current research findings into clinical practice; and
- Demonstrate midwifery competency based on the ANMC National Competency Standards for the Midwife.
Clinical placement: 240 hours.
- 6 x Online discussions to expand and explore knowledge (500 words each) (30%)
- Complex case study of mother and baby (3,000 words) (70%) (Hurdle)
- Clinical assessment (Pass / Fail) (Students must pass the clinical assessment to pass the unit)
4 hours teacher directed learning and 240 hours clinical placement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Must be enrolled in Bachelor of Midwifery or Bachelor of Nursing Practice and Bachelor of Midwifery.