6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
Introduction to common ceramics: industrial ceramics: ceramic crystal structures, clay based industrial ceramics, alumina, mullite; their general compositions, microstructures, processing and properties; understanding the characteristics of these materials from phase diagrams. Introduction to polymers: Polymer coil; molecular weight and molecular weight distribution; chain and step-growth polymers; tacticity; random, block and graft copolymers; solution properties; thermal properties and Tg; thermoplastics and crosslinked polymers; polymer blends.
At the successful completion of this unit you will be able to:
- Discern the properties of commonly used industrial ceramics
- Describe the structural basis of the common industrial ceramics
- Discern the structure and synthesis of commonly used engineering polymers
- Appreciate the link between polymer structure and morphology and polymer thermal and mechanical properties
- Conducts experiments investigating the properties of ceramics and polymers
3 hours lectures, 3 hours of laboratory and 6 hours of private study per week.
See also Unit timetable information