12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Flexible)
This unit integrates knowledge and skills acquired throughout the course to prepare students for transition to practice as a Nurse Practitioner. The unit promotes capability in the management of stable, unpredictable and complex patient conditions that is evidence-informed and carried out within a holistic model of care. Students will expand their knowledge of the use of technology in Nurse Practitioner practice, including information technology and information management. The unit focuses on the high level communication and leadership skills required in NP practice, with emphasis on national and global influences on the NP role.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate independent skills in diagnostic reasoning and planning, implementation and evaluation of evidence-informed integrated care
- Demonstrate a patient-centred approach to the planning, delivery and evaluation of health care
- Analyse the role of technology in supporting health care in a specific area of practice
- Critically analyse local, national and global issues that impact on Nurse Practitioner practice
- Critically analyse and implement communication strategies that promote positive multidisciplinary clinical partnerships
- Appraise measures to evaluate the quality of health care
- Critically appraise the impact of the theoretical concepts of leadership on quality patient outcomes
- Critically reflect on their personal and professional development in preparation for practice as a Nurse Practitioner.
Students are required to be employed for at least 2 days per week in an appropriate clinical environment cognisant with course objectives and have support to undertake extended clinical practice.
- Clinical portfolio (Hurdle)
- Objective structured clinical assessment (Oral) (3,000 words) (Hurdle)
- Written assignment (4,000 - 5,000 words) (50%) (Hurdle)
- Presentation (2,000 words) (30%)
- Reflective essay (1,500 words) (20%)
Off-campus attendance requirements
Residential school 1 week, 22 hrs per week online activities and self-directed learning.
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Nursing and midwifery
Must be enrolled in course M6006.