6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
This unit provides students with an introduction to the fundamentals of organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry and the chemistry of biomolecules, with an emphasis on those aspects that are relevant to understanding the design and mechanism of action of therapeutic agents.
- aldehydes and ketones
- carboxylic acids and functional derivatives
- organic polymer chemistry
- amino acids and proteins
- nucleic acids
- perspectives in medicinal chemistry
- coordination compounds
At the end of this unit students will be able to:
- Apply the key concepts in chemical structure and bonding, including functional groups, to rationalising the shape, properties and reactions of molecules;
- Explain the role of molecular shapes and electronic distributions as the basis for drug-receptor interactions;
- Be proficient in basic laboratory techniques.
Final written examination (2 hours): 50%; practical sessions, reports, mid-semester test and tutorial: 45%; and in-class exercises 5%
Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Twenty four 1-hour lectures
- Six 1-hour tutorials
- Five 3-hour lab practicals
- Three 3-hour computer-based workshops
See also Unit timetable information