12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
This unit is available to students studying the undergraduate degree Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science Advanced with Honours
Students will conduct advanced research in formulation field and will apply the knowledge and formulation tools learnt in previous units.
This 12-credit point unit aims to provide students with an extensive foundation for the development of research skills in the area of formulation science in preparation for honours research.At the end of this unit students will be able to:
- Find, critically evaluate and select relevant information needed to solve the formulation/project problem
- Synthetise the relevant information and create a literature review report with references
- Create a precise experimental protocol (applying a Plackett Burman or Factorial Design of Experiment seen in PSC3231 if appropriate) to conduct an accurate scientific investigation to resolve the formulation/project challenge
- Safely and appropriately operate required manufacturing and/or testing equipment to precisely conduct the experimental plan and collect data
- Critically evaluate and accurately analyze results generated
- Raise logic and significant hypotheses on the explanation of the observed phenomena.
- Communicate the results in a thorough written scientific report based on findings and develop a logic conclusion of the study with identification of possible next steps
- Confidently communicate the results and interpretation in a oral presentation
- Interact with team members, take initiatives, solve problems, organise scientific investigation, self manage their time and workload,
Written report (mini-thesis): 60%; Oral presentation: 20%; Soft skills: 20%
Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 160 hours research project
- 128 hours of independent study
See also Unit timetable information