6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Dr Shruti Mujumdar (Australia)
Dr Amanda Chong Sze Menn (Malaysia)
Central theme: introduction to counselling theory, interventions and research. Themes to be covered include theories of counselling, evaluation of counselling, research designs and interventions, ethical decision making in counselling psychology.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- identify a variety of theoretical approaches to counselling including individual, group and systems approaches;
- describe techniques used by various theoretical approaches to counselling;
- recognise the influence of personal values and belief systems to the counselling process;
- identify ethical issues and ethical decision making in counselling; and
- conduct research in counselling psychology.
- Essay (2,000 words) (25%)
- Mock Counselling and Self Reflection Task (10 minute video and 750 words) (25%)
- Examination (2 hours) (50%) (hurdle)
12 two hour lectures and 6 two hour labs
See also Unit timetable information