6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
- Summer semester A 2017 (Day)
Students must submit valid preclinical documentation, as listed in the course handbook, to Administration staff by the deadline specified and communicated to students. Failure to submit these mandatory documents may result in students being unable to complete the course.
PTY3162 continues to develop the five themes upon which the four year curriculum is based. These are Theme 1 Personal and Professional Development; Theme 2 Population, Society and Health; Theme 3 Fundamental Knowledge of Health Science; Theme 4 Applied Practice; and Theme 5 Research. Problem based learning (PBL) and clinical practice provide the opportunities for integration of the different themes within the course. Students undertake a clinical attachment (5 weeks) during this unit, providing them the opportunity to apply integrated knowledge and skills from previous learning in the Bachelor of Physiotherapy to patient care in either an acute, subacute or community setting.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate professional behaviour in patient care and rights that is culturally sensitive and in accordance with legal requirements;
- Communicate appropriately and effectively across written and verbal mediums, with clients, staff, and other health care stakeholders;
- Tailor knowledge and skills to effectively assess patient needs, including selection of relevant measures of health indicators and outcomes;
- Analyse and plan appropriate patient interactions, including patient-centred goal development, and the selection of appropriate interventions;
- Apply an evidence-based practice to patient care;
- Critically analyse risks and adverse events associated with client assessments and interventions.
Clinical placement: 32 hours per week x 5 weeks.
Formative assessments: Formative assessments of clinical performance in each major study area of physiotherapy clinical education will be scheduled at the half way point of each study area of the clinical affiliation and at other subsequent times. The student must submit a self assessment form midway and at the end of each major study area while on clinical placement. All clinical assessment processes will use the Assessment of Physiotherapy Practice instrument.
Summative assessments: Clinical assessment (based on assessment and changes in performance over the 5 week clinical education period) 100%;
Students must obtain a pass in each major study area, to progress into a fourth year unit. Decisions about appropriate procedures for students who do not achieve satisfactory in the clinical assessment component will be made by the Year 3/4 Level Committee which includes representation of the clinical partners.
- Professional conduct: Students are required to demonstrate professional behaviour in communication (written or verbal) with department staff and clinical educators in order to pass the unit.
- Professional conduct within the unit, completion of Learning Needs Form at the beginning and completion of each clinic; completion of clinical log, completion of self-APP assessment; achieve an overall score of 50% Clinician Evaluation using the APP tool for the clinical unit.
- To reflect everyday workplace practices, and in recognition of the importance of optimizing education in limited clinical placement hours, students are required to achieve 100% clinical attendance. Exceptions will be considered in cases of explained absence through illness, compassionate leave or a pre-arranged agreement with the University and health service facility.
PTY3162 comprises five off-campus (clinical attachments) weeks. Students will spend 32 hours per week in their clinical attachment.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Must be enrolled in course 3868, 3891, M3002, M3003.