12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Please note, this unit has had the following change/s during 2017: change to offering, unit coordinator and chief examiner, unit rules, synopsis, outcomes and assessment.
For previous handbook information please contact the Faculty office.
Unit content will be developed between the student and an appointed staff supervisor. One piece of assessment will be developed and completed by the student for this unit. The nature and content of the assessment itself may vary from student to student depending upon their area of interest, the skill area they wish to develop and, in some cases, the requirements of their work organisation. Topics could include small research projects such as evaluations of particular health and welfare programs, pilot studies, literature reviews, or the learning and implementation of particular social work approaches or theories. The research study or project generally takes the form of an academic project or an advanced practicum project. The focus may be on any field in which social workers are employed, dependant on staff availability to supervise.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Further develop their professional role as social work practitioner-researchers.
- Integrate research knowledge with past and present work experience.
- Deepen specialised practice knowledge and skills from a greater focus on selected areas, including the acquisition of new research-based clinical and program interventions.
- Acquire advanced specialised research knowledge and skills that will allow students to develop research-based practice at the clinical, program and policy levels for newly emerging service areas.
- Develop and complete a research-based and/or research-informed activity that will contribute to their professional development and to continuous quality improvement activities within their workplace.
Research report, evaluation report or assignment (9,000 words) (100%)