12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
The interrelationship of the visual arts with art forms such as film, theatre, dance, performance, poetry, literature, popular culture and the mass media. Individual exploration of themes, subject matter, techniques and materials. Students complete a folio of art work and keep a journal in relation to the set projects. Studio practice may be undertaken in complementary areas such as painting, photography and sculpture.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- be critically aware of their own work in terms of formal, technical and conceptual aspects and be able to discuss this verbally and in written form
- have an understanding of the value of source material which is other than visual, and have extended and broadened their research abilities
- be able to establish an appropriate working procedure and momentum
- through experimentation and investigation, be able to focus on specific subject matter, themes, philosophies and beliefs which are of importance to them
- have some ability to speak about the concerns and issues in their work in relation to the wider social culture
- have a clear understanding of health and safety procedures within the studio.
Folio: 80% + Journal: 20%
8 studio hours and 16 independent study hours per week
See also Unit timetable information
VIS1102 OR VIS1112