This specialisation will prepare you to teach adolescents from 12 to 18 years of age in secondary schools from Year 7 to Year 12 as a specialist teacher in two specialist teaching areas. Your unit choices within the partner degree course will determine your specialist teaching areas. You will develop an understanding of adolescent learning and the nature of secondary education including areas such as: classroom teaching and practice in schools, curriculum planning, implementation and evaluation, and education and its relationship to society.
This area of study entry applies to students commencing this course in 2018 and should be read in conjunction with the relevant course entry in the Handbook.
Any units listed for this area of study relate only to the 'Requirements' outlined in the component of any bachelors double degrees.
Unit codes that are not linked to their entry in the Handbook are not available for study in the current year.
Units are 6 credit points unless otherwise stated.
Part A. Education studies (36 points)
- Understanding learning and learners
- Understanding teaching for learning
- Professional responsibilities, practice and relationships
- Adolescent development and learning
- Developing multiple literacies in education
- Schooling, education and equity: Local and global perspectives
Part B. Curriculum studies (54 points)
- Education priorities
- Becoming a specialist teacher
- Curriculum development and innovative practice
- Curriculum, assessment and education policy
- Method unit 1A*
- Method unit 1B*
- Method unit 2A*
- Method unit 2B*
- an undergraduate education elective
* Corresponding to the discipline studies taken in Section C below. Refer to the secondary specialist/discipline areassecondary specialist/discipline areas (http://www.monash.edu/education/current-students/courses/units/secondary-specialisms), prerequisites and units.
Part C. Discipline studies (96 points)
Students undertake their discipline studies as part of the partner degree. You should consult a Faculty of Education course adviser regarding your choice of majors and minors within your partner degree course to ensure you are fulfilling the requirements of the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT). Refer to the secondary specialist/discipline areas, prerequisites and unitssecondary specialist/discipline areas, prerequisites and units (http://www.monash.edu/education/current-students/courses/units/secondary-specialisms).
Part D. Professional studies (18 points)
Students complete 80 days of supervised professional experience in primary and secondary schools.
You will complete:
- Secondary professional experience 1A (0 points)
- Secondary professional experience 1B (0 points)
- Secondary professional experience 2A (0 points)
- Secondary professional experience 2B (0 points)
- Secondary professional experience 3A (0 points)
- Secondary professional experience 3B (0 points)
- Transition and professional engagement
- Secondary professional experience 4A (0 points)
- Secondary professional experience 4B (0 points)
- Researching teaching and learning
- Research project in education
80 days of professional experienceprofessional experience (http://monash.edu/education/current-students/professional-experience/placements/) completed in secondary schools.
This specialisation is accredited by professional bodies. Refer to Professional recognitionProfessional recognition (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2017handbooks/undergrad/edu-04.html) for information.
Related areas of study
Successful completion of this undergraduate specialisation can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the Bachelor of Education (Honours) component in the following double degrees:
- D3002 Bachelor of Education (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts
- D3007 Bachelor of Education (Honours) and Bachelor of Business
- D3003 Bachelor of Education (Honours) and Bachelor of Commerce
- D3006 Bachelor of Education (Honours) and Bachelor of Fine Art*
- D3009 Bachelor of Education (Honours) and Bachelor of Information Technology
- D3004 Bachelor of Education (Honours) and Bachelor of Music
- D3005 Bachelor of Education (Honours) and Bachelor of Science
* Visual arts specialisation only.