6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit is designed for students with no or little knowledge of the Korean language to build a foundation in their basic knowledge of the Korean language and culture. Students will be introduced to contemporary Korean, with special emphasis on spoken usage for everyday situations. Students will also be introduced to a general overview and understanding of modern Korean history, culture and society.
Upon completing this unit, students should be able to:
- Participate in simple social conversations in Korean
- Use basic 'survival' Korean for traveling in Korea
- Communicate basic information about themselves and family members
- Read and write simple Korean
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of Korean culture and society, through theoretical frameworks
- Develop a critical awareness of various issues arising in the globalised world, including rapid changes in current and future work places
Within semester assessment: 60% + Exam: 40%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information