6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit is only available to students enrolled in a Bachelor of Music single or double degree - Music composition specialisation.
- The unit has a compulsory ensemble componentensemble component (http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/music/category/performance-studies/student-ensembles/). Some ensembles are subject to audition. Normally, auditions take place in Week 1 of the semester. Please see the unit guide for further information.
- Students who fail this unit will need permission from the unit coordinator in order to repeat the unit.
This unit extends intermediate skills in composition by requiring students to write complex multi-movement works and respond with a well-developed plan to a complex set concept. Students also extend their knowledge of acoustic instruments by writing for large instrumental groups.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- approach music composition, including the composition of multi-movement works, with some expertise;
- write for large instrumental groups;
- develop a detailed compositional plan for a multi-movement work in response to a set concept;
- perform effectively in a chosen/approved music ensemble with a critical awareness of the various roles involved;
- demonstrate perceptive music listening skills through verbal critiques.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information