6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit has a student enrolment quota of 80.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
Twelve credit points of first-year Arts units.
The unit enables students to record and produce music in live studio and computer-based environments. By recording solo and group performances, students learn about music production, editing, mixing and mastering techniques, as well as how to publish music recordings in variety of different formats (for example, CD, vinyl and digital).
Upon completion of the unit, students are able to:
- Understand essential microphone types and placement;
- Record live audio to a digital audio workstation and analogue tape;
- Compose music using a digital audio workstation;
- Demonstrate knowledge of digital signal processing effects;
- Mix and master a finished recording or composition;
- Prepare recordings or compositions for CD, vinyl and digital formats.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information