6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
or intermediate language competence
In this unit, students will participate in language learning activities appropriate to Intermediate 1 level, including oral practice and the use of contemporary written, aural and audiovisual materials representing selected situations and registers. Students will consolidate and extend their grammatical knowledge. In the culture component, students will explore key aspects of Italian history, society and culture with a focus on medieval times and their connections to contemporary Italy.
The unit will consist of two sections: Intermediate 1 Language and Culture
- Language: practical language acquisition through oral practice and the use of contemporary written, aural and audiovisual materials representing selected situations and registers; consolidation and extension of grammatical knowledge through revision
- Culture: an introduction to key aspects of Italian history, society and culture with a focus on medieval times and their connections to contemporary Italy.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- interact in most everyday social situations with some confidence and fluency;
- produce oral and written texts with varied tone and register;
- read simply-structured literary texts and articles in periodicals;
- use monolingual as well as bilingual dictionaries;
- discuss medieval Italy and its cultural output in the European context as well as its legacy today.
Within semester assessment: 60% + Exam: 40%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information