6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit is only available to students enrolled in a Bachelor of Music single or double degree - Music composition specialisation.
- The unit has a compulsory ensemble componentensemble component (http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/music/category/performance-studies/student-ensembles/). Some ensembles are subject to audition. Normally, auditions take place in Week 1 of the semester. Please see the unit guide for further information.
- Students who fail this unit will need permission from the unit coordinator in order to repeat the unit.
This unit develops advanced skills in composition by requiring students to conceive of and articulate the conceptual basis for a distinctive original work. Students also study the development of diverse sonic materials analogously from a work's conceptual basis.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Conceive of and articulate the conceptual basis for a distinctive musical work.
- Develop sonic materials analogously from a work's conceptual basis.
- Perform effectively in a chosen/approved ensemble and show performance practice awareness.
- Demonstrate perceptive music listening skills and informed peer reviewing skills through verbal critiques.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information