6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
ATS2237, VSA2260, VSA3260
This unit introduces students to post-war Italian cinema and its cultural contexts and gives an opportunity to view and discuss films by Scola, Rossellini, Visconti, Benigni, and others. The unit familiarises students with a variety of critical approaches and allows them to analyse the films as representatives of specific cinematographic genres and styles, and as reflections on and interpretations of post-war Italian culture. The unit covers issues such as wartime resistance; fascism; migration within, from and to Italy amongst others.
On successful completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Understand, discuss and analyse different cinematographic genres and styles of post-war Italian Cinema
- Develop and express a relative understanding of the cultural context of post-war Italy
- Understand, discuss and analyse the ways in which select post-war Italian films reflect on and interpret the social and political issues of their time
- Develop an ability to engage with written and visual texts and to understand a body of critical writing in the field Additional objective for students in Italian:
- To develop a knowledge of specialist language in relation to film studies Additional objectives for third year students will be
- To develop a deeper understanding of theoretical debates in the field of post-war Italian cinema and Italian culture.
- The ability to apply that understanding to one or more other films of their choice not studied in class
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information