12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (Flexible)
Topics to be covered include critical reading of the social science research literature, research planning, design and execution, research ethics and presentation skills. Students will critically examine current research in at least one major field within Journalism, Australian and/or Indigenous studies and undertake a focused original research project. The topic and execution of the project is to be approved and supervised by the lecturer.
On completion of this unit students should be able to:
- critically examine and review current research in at least one major field within their discipline;
- design and develop a minor research project that develops the knowledge in the field in some way;
- participate in seminars as required to discuss and develop their project collegially;
- effectively locate, access and review relevant literature on the selected field of research;
- produce a scholarly essay that clearly and cogently presents the outcomes of the research.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
Off-campus attendance requirements
Online and phone discussion