6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
- Second semester 2018 (Flexible)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester to Summer semester A 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
- Summer semester A 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
- Summer semester A 2018 (Flexible)
- Summer semester A 2018 (On-campus)
Students must have passed the prerequisite units:
, , , , , , , , with a grade of at least 60 (Credit) to enrol.
In order to enrol in this unit students must lodge an online application; contact email@example.com
The aim of this unit is to enable students to develop experience and understanding in discipline-specific, non-clinical, industry-focused work environments.
The unit will provide opportunities to establish:
- Closer links between future graduates and industry partners
- Workplace skills in a discipline area
- Industry expectations of graduates
- Real-world career experiences for students
Students will be placed with an industry-partner for a short-term work experience opportunity in a discipline-specific area.
This opportunity will enable students to develop industry and work-based learning, allowing them to apply discipline related knowledge to authentic, real-world situations.
This unit will further enhance 21st Century employability skills necessary for career competitiveness.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Develop, apply, integrate and generate biomedical science knowledge in professional contexts
- Work and learn in both independent and collaborative ways with others from diverse backgrounds and abilities
- Communicate effectively to diverse audiences and in a variety of formats
- Analyse work-based problems to develop effective solutions
- Exercise personal, professional and social responsibility as a global citizen
Students required to complete a minimum of 10 days of industry placement (baring exceptional circumstances).Industry placements will cater for industry-based learning activities.
- Learning contract (600 words) and professional development statement (600 words) (20%)
- Project outline (600 words) and reflective piece (600 words) (20%)
- Mentor report (1,200 words) (20%) (hurdle)
- Final presentation (2,400 words) (40%) (hurdle)
- Workshops 1 & 3 attendance and participation
- Mentor report
- Final presentation
Minimum of 10 - 15 days industry placement (60 - 90 hours)
3 face-to-face/online workshops (12 hours)
Self-directed learning throughout semester (42 hours)
Unit discontinuation and penalty dates for these units are different to other units taught in the same teaching period.
Please refer to the information available on the Faculty's non-standard teaching datesFaculty's non-standard teaching dates (http://www.med.monash.edu.au/enrolments/non-standard-dates.html) page to avoid academic and financial penaltiesacademic and financial penalties (http://www.monash.edu/enrolments/processes/change/add-or-discontinue-units#penalties).
See also Unit timetable information