12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit advances the student's knowledge gained in Multimedia Design Studio 1 () and places a strong emphasis on digital experience design. Particular importance is placed on the role of interface design, interactivity, virtual space and storytelling in multimedia design, including the skills and techniques to use these elements across a range of media platforms. Students undertake project work that explores a wide range of design processes, technical skills and conceptual models involved with the production of interactive media. Individual's specialist skills and folio preparation will also be covered.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- critically approach problem-solving, embracing current technological and philosophical developments in multimedia design;
- analyse digital media design, and identify the various multimedia elements and authoring techniques used;
- understand and have the ability to analyse the benefits and constraints of different media delivery platforms for multimedia design, including digital video, the internet, site-specific installation and other technologies;
- further develop creative and specialist studio skills specific to multimedia design;
- produce multimedia design prototypes by applying a range of design problem-solving methodologies, multimedia design and technical skills to respond to challenges;
- develop a self directed approach to the development of multimedia design works, utilising independent research and evaluation methods;
- understand the specialised roles identified in the multimedia design industry, and identify which role best matches their set of skills, and;
- understand and apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the discipline practice.
100% mixed mode
8 contact hours per week plus 16 hours private study per week
See also Unit timetable information