6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2018
Must be enrolled in course 4528, 4529, M6007 or M6021
Review of legal principles related to health care; including common law principles and statutes. The focus is on key areas of medical and health law such as negligence, consent, privacy of health information, clinical research, abortion, euthanasia, mental health, infectious diseases, health complaints, ethics and human rights and law for health systems.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Describe the sources of law
- Describe aspects of law impacting upon the delivery of health services
- Apply key areas of medical law to health management; such as negligence, informed consent, confidentiality, clinical research, abortion, euthanasia, health service law, mental health law, infectious diseases law, health complaints law and coronial law
- Comprehend other areas of law and legal policy as they apply to the health care system including restrictive trade practices, contract law, professional registration and malpractice, drugs and poisons law and therapeutic goods law
- Examine the means of resolving consumer dissatisfaction.
- Response to 6 weekly forum discussion topics (45%) (hurdle)
- Written essay (1,500 words) (25%)
- Written essay (2,000 words) (30%)
Off-campus: 20 hours per week for 6 weeks.
See also Unit timetable information