6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
It is recommended that students will have successfully completed either VCE Mathematical Methods 1/2 or VCE Further Mathematics 3/4 or equivalent. Students without one of these may need to undertake additional private study beyond the normal workload requirements.
, , ENG1091, MTH1049, , , and MTH1040. Note that MTH1010 can only be completed prior to and / or equivalent. Students who have achieved a study score of at least 25 in VCE Mathematical Methods units 3/4 (or equivalent) are not permitted to enrol in MTH1010.
Functions, domain and range, function representation; different types of functions including linear, exponential, logarithmic, trigonometric, polynomial and rational functions; function algebra; composition of functions; inverse of functions; transformations; modelling with functions; rates of change; introduction to differentiation and integration, including techniques and applications.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Describe the properties of elementary functions by means of tables, graphs and mathematical expressions;
- Manipulate functions using a range of methods from algebra and calculus;
- Apply functions and appropriate mathematical tools to model simple physical systems;
- Communicate mathematical arguments in written form.
Examination (3 hours): 60% (Hurdle)
Continuous assessment: 40%
Hurdle requirement: To pass this unit a student must achieve at least 50% overall and at least 40% for the end-of-semester exam.
Three 1-hour lectures and one 2-hour support class per week
See also Unit timetable information