12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (Online)
This unit focuses on key concepts such as models of mental health service delivery, consumer and carer participation and perspectives, and professional issues in mental health nursing. It provides an in-depth analysis of each major component of an integrated mental health service and also covers special populations and transcultural mental health issues.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Describe the characteristics of an efficient and cost effective comprehensive mental health service;
- Critically analyse contemporary approaches to mental health service delivery;
- Discuss the importance of consumer and carer perspectives and participation in mental health service delivery;
- Describe the mental health nurse's scope of practice in a range of health care contexts;
- Demonstrate understanding of the needs of special populations including people from non-English speaking backgrounds, refugees, homeless people;
- Discuss the influence of culture, gender and coexisting conditions on the care of people with mental health problems and disorders;
- Act as an effective leader, health educator, resource person and catalyst for change to individuals, families, health professionals and the community.
- Essay (Special care needs of people in mental health) (2,000 words) (20%)
- Essay (Application of government policy) (3,000 words) (30%)
- Essay (Critique of mental health services) (3,000 words) (30%)
- 4 x Online computer conference posts (1,000 words each) (total 20%)
- Clinical hurdle: Clinical skills assessment