12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (Online)
This foundation unit of the Master of Advanced Radiation Therapy Practice is designed to meet the needs of Radiation Therapists seeking to advance their understanding and extend their knowledge of current issues which impact on radiation therapy and oncology service delivery. Workforce issues related to radiation therapy and oncology service delivery will be studied and students will evaluate the factors that impact on resource management. Students will study government policy, quality assurance systems, standards, and novel initiatives in relation to radiation therapy and oncology. Issues associated with rural and regional radiation oncology service delivery and cultural and demographic factors that affect utilisation of radiation oncology services will also be discussed.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Analyse and synthesise the impact of a range of factors on radiation oncology service delivery with respect to your local context
- Critically evaluate current and future workforce issues with respect to your local context, reflecting on your professional experience
- Appraise the impact of cultural and other demographic factors on cancer control and radiation therapy utilisation
- Discuss government initiatives and policies in relation radiation oncology service delivery
- Evaluate national and international radiation therapy and oncology standards and reflect on your experience of implementation of standards in your clinical centre
- Explain quality assurance requirements in radiation therapy, reflecting on the impact of implementation of these on radiation therapy service delivery
- Appraise the barriers and enables to regional and rural radiation oncology service delivery
- Evaluate current and future factors impacting on resource management in radiation therapy service delivery with respect to your local context.
- Evidence-based business case (3,000 words) (25%)
- Structured oral presentation (Individual) (20 minutes) (20%)
- Critical reflection on the presentation (1,000 words) (10%)
- Journal article (3,000 words) (25%)
- Moodle discussion board posting (1,000 words) (10%)
- 2 x Reflective evidence-based responses (500 words each) (10%)
Off-campus: 12 hours per week of direct engagement in the learning materials and 12 hours of self-directed study for 12 weeks.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Medical radiations and radiation therapy